From submitting your application to admission to registration, Northwood Tech is available to help guide you through the admissions process. To help you successfully complete this program, Northwood Tech has developed a set of program requirements and functional ability criteria. For students with a disability, reasonable accommodations are available to help you be successful in the program of your choice.
The first step to get admitted is to fill out a Northwood Tech application, and Northwood Tech will guide you from there. If you're not quite ready to become a student, visit a campus to get the full Northwood Tech experience. A campus tour will give you the opportunity to meet staff, instructors and students, tour the campus and get a real feel for the campus culture.
- Complete Online application form
- Have earned a high school diploma or GED certificate; current high school seniors must provide both a current high school transcript and a final (official) transcript with confer date
- Review and sign Background Check Disclosure
- Review and sign Functional Abilities Disclosure
- Complete admissions meeting with a Northwood Tech counselor
2023-24 Occupational Therapy Assistant Program Additional Information will be available April 2023.
Submit Background Check fee
Have an acceptable Wisconsin Caregiver Background Check, National Criminal Background Check, Minnesota Caregiver Background Check (if applicable), and other states, if applicable
Pass a physical exam, have current immunizations, and demonstrate negative status for tuberculosis (Tb)
COVID vaccination---highly recommended
NOTE: Northwood Technical College cannot guarantee clinical placement or ability to progress in the program if a student is not able to meet the clinical site requirements including but not limited to; influenza vaccine, covid vaccine, negative tb skin test/quantiferon, up to date acceptable background check, or any other clinical requirements required by the clinical site. Northwood Technical College cannot guarantee clinical placement if the clinical site must be changed due to students inability to meet the site specific requirements. Many sites require the student information 4-6 weeks prior to the clinical start date.
Possess current certification of "BLS Basic Life Support" or equivalent
Review and sign Health Sciences Confidentiality Statement
Participate in a mandatory program orientation session
2023-24 Occupational Therapy Assistant Student Handbook
2023-24 Health Sciences & Occupational Therapy Assistant Student Policies will be available August 2023.
2023-24 OTA Fieldwork Handbook
Spring 2024 Fieldwork Level II dates: TBD
2023-24 Fieldwork Handbook Policies and Spring XX dates will be available August 2023.
OTA Program Orientation-Fall 2023
2023-24 Occupational Therapy Assistant Orientation documents will be available April 2023.
2023-2024 OTA Reentry
2023-24 OTA Reentry documents will be available August 2023.
Instructions for Withdrawal from OTA Core Courses
If you are at this webpage, it means your OTA Academic Advisor has been notified that you dropped your OTA course (10-514-xxx) courses.
If you are withdrawing from your OTA core (10-514-xxx) courses, the OTA program would like to gather data regarding your decision to withdraw. This data is useful in the OTA planning process. Thank you for providing this information.
- Reentry students have priority reentry status for one year. For example, if you leave the program, during or at the end of the Fall 2022 semester, you will maintain priority reentry until Fall 2023. Should you decide to postpone your reentry to the OTA program during the priority year, you will forfeit your priority reentry status and will be eligible for reentry after other students waiting to reenter have had the opportunity to reenter.
- Please carefully review the Withdrawal from the OTA Program form. You may complete the form electronically and email to becky.mika@NorthwoodTech.edu or print and mail this form within one month of your exiting the program to the following address:
- Becky Mika
- Northwood Technical College
- 2100 Beaser Ave
- Ashland WI 54807
- If you are planning on returning to the Northwood Tech OTA program, please review the Reentry process and complete the Intent to Reenter form.
- If you have questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to contact Becky Mika, OTA Program Director, at becky.mika@NorthwoodTech.edu or 715.319.7263.
If using Macintosh or Linux based computers, coursework must be submitted using your Office365 tools provided with your Northwood Tech email account. It is important to verify with your Program Faculty if non-Windows based computers are acceptable in the program.